We purchased this Cape Dory 31 off of E-Bay. It was damaged during Hurricane Ike, but a close look at her told us she had a lot of potential. The mast was broken in two and the stantions were bent . The hull some fiberglass damage, mostly by the rub rails which were also damaged. She took on no water and the interior of this boat was in great shape. It was apparent the previous owner took pride in keeping her up. I was only able to inspect the boat in the water so I waited on pins and needles to for her delivery to see if the hull was damaged under the waterline. She was not.
We used MAS Epoxy and fiberglass to repair the bad spots. The top side got two coats of epoxy primer and three coats of off white Interlux Perfection two part polyurethane paint. We put the paint on using the roll and tip method and after some blunders and a learning a few tricks we were pleased with the final product. The boot stripe was done with leather brown Rust Oleum, and the cove stripe is 1/2 inch 3M tape with the CD letters cut out by hand. Pettit Trinidad red was used for the bottom paint.
The woodwork on deck was done with Mahogany due to the outrageous price of Teak. Our friend Paul Lustenhouser did a wonderful job on it. Paul is a semi retired cabinet maker and a true artist at working with wood.
Friends from the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association told us about a complete mast with rigging for sale. This took care of all of my mast problems. Except for wiring the mast and some preventive work the only thing left to tackle is the stern railing.
We made the stern railing out of 316 stainless tubing filling the tubes with sand prior to makingthe bends. This kept the tubs from flatening at the bends.